Plein Air Painting Event with Watershed and Edwardsville Arts Center
Sign up to do plein air painting at the Watershed between September 1st and October 1st, 2016. Then, submit your artwork to the Edwardsville Arts Center to be juried into the Plein Air Art Exhibit at the EAC!
The Watershed Nature Center and the Edwardsville Arts Center (EAC) are partnering to offer plein air artists an outdoor painting event at the Watershed Nature Center and the opportunity to enter pieces from this event to be juried into an exhibition at the Edwardsville Arts Center. Artists will be able to work at their convenience at the Watershed Nature Center between September1st and October 1st, 2016 during park hours. They must sign in at the office as they enter the park. After this time, artists can submit up to five images to the EAC, either digitally or by hand delivery to the EAC by October 8th at 3pm for judging (see application process below for details). The application fee ($25 for Professional/Adult, $15 for students) will serve as a dual membership for the EAC and the Watershed Nature Center.
- Painting at the Watershed – On Saturday, September 10th, participating artists will be encouraged to paint (John will be there to offer advice) at the Watershed Nature Center and to participate in a “meet and greet” from 4-5pm with other artists and the public. Refreshments will be provided. Artists must sign in at the Watershed Center building during office hours Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from noon – 4pm. All other times artists choose to work they are requested to sign in by emailing Katie Mendoza (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the dates and times they plan on being at the Watershed. Artists may paint at the Watershed any day of the week from dawn til dusk.
- Exhibition of Work – Exhibited work will be displayed in the Main Gallery of the EAC from October 21 to November 18, 2016. An opening reception is scheduled for Friday, October 21 from 5pm to 7pm.
- Artist Recognition – The top thirteen paintings as determined by the juror, will be reproduced in full color in a 2017 monthly calendar available for purchase at the EAC during the holiday season. In addition, all other selected entries will be published on the artist’s birth date throughout the calendar.
- Juror – John DenHouter will serve as the juror for the exhibition. Mr. DenHouter is an associate professor of art at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. He holds a BFA degree and an MFA degree in medical and biological illustration from the University of Michigan as well as an MFA degree in painting from Eastern Michigan University. He is an experienced plein air painter having produced hundreds of landscapes in both watercolor and oil. His studio and plein air paintings have been exhibited in over 170 competitive and invitational exhibitions regionally and nationally and have garnered numerous awards.
REGISTERING FOR PLEIN AIR PAINTING EVENT:
Competitive Levels and Entry Fees: Sign up for Painting Event on signupgenius.com, HERE.
- Professional/Adult- Artists over the age of 22 can enter this category for a fee of $25. This fee will serve as a dual membership for both the EAC and The Watershed Nature Center.
- Children/Student- Artists 8 to 22 years can enter a children/student category for a reduced membership fee of $15. This fee will serve as a dual membership for both the EAC and The Watershed Nature Center.
- Media: Oil, acrylic, tempera, gouache, watercolor, pastel, graphite, charcoal, pen and ink, and colored pencil. All paintings at time of submission must be framed and dry and all dry media pieces must be framed behind glass or plexiglass.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR JURIED SHOW: Online or Hand Delivery
Plein Air Exhibit: October 21st – November 18th. Opening Reception on Friday, October 21st from 6-8pm.
*All paintings at time of submission must be framed and dry and all dry media pieces must be framed behind glass or plexiglass.*
- Option 1: Online Submissions – After your paintings are completed, you may apply for the juried Plein Air Exhibit at the EAC. Online applications may be completed by emailing up to five images of the plein air work completed at the Watershed. Email submissions must be of high resolution (2.5 MB) and cropped without background. All images must be of work produced at the Watershed Nature Center between September 1st and October 1st, 2016. Each file should be titled [last name 1], [last name 2], etc. In the body of the email, list each image file with corresponding Title, Media, and Dimensions. For example: Smith 1: “Afternoon Light at Watershed”. Oil on panel. 15” x 15”.
Email submissions to: email@example.com with the subject line, “Plein Air Submission – [your last name]”
- Option 2: Hand Delivered Submissions – Up to five original works produced at the Watershed Nature Center between September 1st and October 1st, 2016 may be hand delivered to the EAC by 3pm on October 8th for judging. Include information sheet on the back of each submission. Information sheet can be downloaded HERE.
- Results of Jurying – Artists will receive notification of acceptance or rejection by October 13th. A maximum of 5 entries by an artist may be accepted.
- Pick up of Declined work (Hand Delivered Submissions) – Hand delivered work not accepted will be available for pick up between October 14 between 10am -4pm, and October 15 between 11am – 3pm.
- Delivery of Accepted Work – Work accepted for the exhibition via digital submission may be dropped off between October 14 between 10am -4pm, and October 15 between 11am – 3pm.
- Pick up of Exhibited Work – Work will be available for pick up on Friday, November 18th between 2-6pm, or Saturday November 19th between 11am – 3pm.
- Exhibition Dates – October 21st – November 18th. Opening Reception: Friday, October 21st from 6-8pm.
The EAC is hosting a painting event for Edwardsville Township’s third annual Touch-a-Truck event on Saturday, October 1st at Edwardsville Township Community Park, located at 6368 Center Grove Road in Edwardsville, Illinois. We’ll be painting ceramic trucks and cars, and spraying them with a gloss coating for a nice finish! Event takes place from 10am – 4pm at Edwardsville Township Community Park.
Interested in Volunteering?
We’ll need help directing kids and families to the activity, helping kids with projects, keeping clean and organized, and clean up afterwards. We have 2 hour shifts available, sign up for as many as you want! Sign up here!
Time: 10am – 4pm.
Location: Edwardsville Township Community Park
6368 Center Grove Road
Edwardsville, IL 62025